Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cloten & Bottom: To Laugh or to Cry?


A Midsummer Night’s Dream is arguably Shakespeare’s most popular comedies. Which is why the character connection between Bottom, the weaver in Midsummer, and Cloten, the oafish Prince in Cymbeline, seemed like the most fitting comparison. The most amusing character trait that Bottom and Cloten share is that both are arrogant beyond belief and overconfident to a fault. When reading the plays I couldn’t help but link the two characters together. Bottom suffered from blatant stupidity, which is riddled throughout the whole play. He misuses words and phrases often, and is usually corrected by his fellow troop members. Robin, the trickster, later casts a spell upon Bottom and turns his head into an ass, which is all too fitting. Bottom and Cloten are both asses, I wish Shakespeare had cast a spell upon Cloten much like Bottom was, “And I am such a tender ass, if my hair but do tickle me, I must scratch.” (MND 4.1. 26-27) the hilarity is unmistakable.
Cloten’s pursuit of Imogen clearly showcases his arrogance and lack of wit. In the 3rd act, after Imogen verbally kicks his “ass” (because he’s kind of an ass…get it?), his rebuttals are the perfect examples of his wit. Imogen states “Fools are not mad folks.” Cloten replies” Do you call me a fool?” Imogen then states “As I am mad I do…” (Cymbeline 2. 3. 116-118) I honestly don’t think anyone could have said it better. Both Cloten and Bottom are arrogant and overconfident, which makes them the most amusing characters amongst their fellow characters. I also think they’re hilarious, stupidity can either make you cry or laugh, and I couldn’t help but laugh at these two.
--posted on behalf of Chelsea Mills



No comments:

Post a Comment