Monday, December 2, 2013

Runaway Love


We are presented with lovers who simply cannot be together in Cymbeline and Midsummer Night's Dream. Posthemus and Innogen, shown in Cymbeline, are married and Posthemus was sent away by King Cymbeline as he was not accepted as the husband of his daughter. Lysander and Hermia, shown in MND, are in love and wish to be married but Hermia's father Egeus refuses to let it be. Posthemus promises that he will see Innogen again and says he will remain faithful as he steals away into the wilderness; 

Remain, remain thou here
While sense can keep it on. And, sweetest, fairest, 
As I my poor self did exchange for you, 
To your so infinite loss, so in our trifles 
I still win of you: for my sake wear this; 
It is a manacle of love; I'll place it
Upon this fairest prisoner. (Cymbeline I.i.145-151)

Lysander and Hermia, on the other hand, decide to run into the forest together to escape the cruelty of Hermia's father and the decisions that they would be forced to make;

And in the wood where often you and I
Upon faint primrose beds were won't to lie,
Emptying our bosoms of their counsel swelled,
There my Lysander and myself shall meet;
And thence from Athens turn away our eyes
To seek new friends and stranger companies. (MND I.i.214-219)

These few characters were willing to do whatever it took to be together and to live happily despite what their parents (and more specifically, fathers) thought of their relationships. Also, they were able to overcome the odds and trials that were presented to them. For Innogen and Posthemus it was the belief that Innogen was being unfaithful and for Lysander and Hermia it was the fact that love spells were involved and they were led astray from one another. In the end, both couples made it through and were able to be together. 

posted on behalf of Avery Postema

No comments:

Post a Comment